Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Random street car upgrades

A few mods I did to my street cars....a while ago....but never got around to blogging about them so.....

First on my 2018 VW Golf AllTrack.  The lower rear motor mount.....it connects the sub-frame to the back of the motor.  There is a large void in the OEM mount, several companies make a part to fill that void.  I purchased two of them, not knowing which one I liked better.  The 034 Motorsport aluminum one (bottom) or the Black Forest Industries poly one (top).  I ended up going with the Black Forest one, just because it fills more of the void.  FYI in roughly 2018 VW switched to a slightly newer style of this mount, so if doing this upgrade on your car, be mindful.  The car does have a bit more NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness), not too bad though.


When I got this particular street car Miata had installed some unknown lowering springs and performance Tokico struts.  The car was very harsh, and too low, the front wheels actually were a bit tucked.

I scored a really good deal on some Tokico Ilumina shocks (adjustable rebound/compression) with Flying Miata springs and NB strut hats.  Notice the springs on the FM's are progressive, which make for a more pleasant ride, they also are a stiffer spring.  The NB Miata (2nd generation) had a revised strut/spring top that helps with bump steer.  After the swap, the car is about 3/4" higher, which good and rides so much nicer, and does handle better.  I leave the shocks on the softest settings because of MN roads, and the passengers complain less.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment