Friday, August 30, 2019

Jack Pine Sprints; Brainerd Intl. Raceway w/ SCCA-LOL 8/24 & 8/25

My Spec Miata returns!!!  After a two year hiatus, the car returns to the track!  SCCA-LOL's Jack Pine Sprints at Brainerd International Raceway.  A big thank you to Mark Kaufman of Maaco Burnsville, Nate Gundlach, Geoff YoungdahlSRG Autosport,and The Alignment Guy.
New fire bottle, nerve racking to install, and less than easy access!  :)

Spec Miata Central, well most of us.

Over 50lbs of ballast was needed to be installed to make my 2400lbs race weight.

Turns out my choice of blue numbers on the grey car didn't contrast enough.  Black duct tape also wasn't good enough, borrowed some orange tape.  Then later to mess with some of my corner worker friends, I made the "1"'s with white tape.  :) I really like my new Jongbloed Racing Wheels from Phill's Tire Service.
My 2nd race, the radar was giving hints of possible rain.  The question was when was it going to come and how much?  Conventional wisdom is the Hoosier SM7's are faster that Hoosier wet tires up until standing water shows up.  At the very last second I made the switch to my 6 year old rain tires.  While in grid the rain starts....the first few laps were very sketchy, as the race went on the tires got better; I assume grinding off the outside layer and getting to fresh rubber helped.  The rain got heavier, I went off the track not once but twice!  I ended up getting 3rd this race!



I will add in car video and more pictures later!.



No comments:

Post a Comment