Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Dodge Ram 2nd Generation Transmission coolers

My first 1/2 ton Dodge with a 318ci v-8 didn't come with a transmission cooler.  I had an aftermarket one installed.  Nothing to it; simply attaches to the truck in front of the AC condenser with some funny zip tie things.  The g/f also has a very similar truck and hauls a  horse trailer with it, so I convinced her that she needed a transmission cooler as well.  I knew that the diesels came with a cooler, so why not just go with an OEM option?!?  Well here is some stuff I learned, I couldn't find it documented, so I made a few trips to the local junkyard to find answers.

-Diesels have a cooler that mounts on the driver side of the radiator. The ATF does not run in series with the radiator, just the cooler.

-SOME gassers also have a transmission cooler.  The cooler attaches to the radiator core support, and sits between the radiator and AC condenser.  The ATF does seem flow in series with the passages in the radiator; although I found several routing methods in the junkyard.
OEM gas transmission cooler. 
OEM diesel transmission cooler
Diesel cooler..(picture taken from Mishimoto)

No comments:

Post a Comment