Sunday, November 17, 2019

Belly pan/tunnel shield

I purchased the "Aluminum Street Shield Tunnel Brace" from ECS Tuning for my 2018 Golf Alltrack.  The biggest reason I purchased it was for aerodynamics.  I have no intentions of being hella-low nor doing any real off-roading where the skid plate would scrape and would protect the car.  It will add some structure rigidity but I doubt I will notice any difference. The unit is stout!  It weighs in at 15lbs!

Installation was pretty straight forward.  I love how the kit doesn't require any drilling, welding, or fabrication.  A provided special bracket gets installed between the front sub-frame and the exhaust hanger for the front of the plate.  The middle of the plate utilizes the bolts for the drive shaft center bearing.  The rear portion of the plate is fastened where there is an OEM chassis brace.  One does need to trim the OEM heat shield a bit so the shield will sit flush against the bearing bracket, not a big deal.

I ran into clearance issues with the OEM chassis brace at the rear.  I was able to pinch the offending OEM brace with a bench vice.  The very front of the the brace bolts to the fore mentioned bracket that is sandwiched between the sub-frame and exhaust hanger  The holes in the plate need to be ovaled like an extra 1/16th of an inch.

I really want to wrap the exhaust system in thermal wrap or get it ceramic coated.   The reason being all the heat in the exhaust system is not in a mostly enclosed chamber and I'd rather not have all that extra heat trapped in the car.


From the front of the car looking back.

from the back of the car looking forward.

Another front of car looking back 

No comments:

Post a Comment